Decision details

Howardian Hills AONB Defra grant acceptance

Decision Maker: Leader

Decision status: Recommendations Approved

Is Key decision?: No

Is subject to call in?: No


To accept the 2022-23 Defra grant for continued financial support for the work of the Howardian Hills AONB Partnership

Reasons for the decision:

NYCC has acted as the Accountable Body for the Defra grant and Employing Authority for the Howardian Hills AONB Partnership staff team since at least 1991 and has received an annual Defra grant to cover up to a maximum of 75% of the Partnership’s operational costs, with the remaining 25% made up from NYCC, RDC and HDC contributions. The Partnership supports the relevant local authorities in delivery of their statutory duties for this protected landscape and provides a good value for money model for delivery of these duties. This arrangement is usual for UK AONBs and their relevant local authorities.

The 2022-23 Defra grant includes an additional amount to fund delivery of the HH AONB Farming in Protected Landscapes (FiPL) programme, which receives 100% Defra funding, with no requirement for match from the relevant local authorities.

2022-23 grant total is £334,858.42 (Core £144,520.42 and FiPL £190,338.00)

Alternative options considered:

NYCC could cease to act as the Accountable Body and Employing Authority for the Partnership.

The Partnership could be wound-up and an alternative model created for delivery of the local authority statutory duties.

Publication date: 25/08/2022

Date of decision: 25/08/2022